A few clever substitutions can make this traditional creamy casserole low in fat and calories, time to cook is 20 minutes .
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- 300g mixed mushroom, chopped
- 150ml low-sodium beef or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, or vegetarian alternative
- 3 tbsp half-fat soured cream
- small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 250g pouch cooked wild rice
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and soften the onion for about 5 mins. Add the garlic and paprika, then cook for 1 min more. Add mushrooms and cook on a high heat, stirring often, for about 5 mins.
- Pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, bubble for 5 mins until the sauce thickens, then turn off the heat and stir through the soured cream and most of the parsley. Make sure the pan is not on the heat or the sauce may split.
- Heat rice following pack instructions, then stir through the remaining parsley and serve with the stroganoff.