- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 pounds frozen pizza dough, thawed or Whole Wheat Sesame Dough (below)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 8 ounces shredded Italian cheese blend
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Snipped fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Cover two large baking sheets with Reynolds Wrap(R) Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Divide Whole Wheat Sesame Seed Dough or thawed pizza dough into 8 equal portions. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each portion of dough on a lightly floured surface into a 6-inch circle. Transfer to prepared baking sheets. Prick the crusts with a fork. Do not let rise.
- Bake about 7 minutes or until light brown. In a small bowl, combine pizza sauce and crushed red pepper. Top each crust with pizza sauce, then with sausage and mushrooms. Sprinkle with Italian blend cheese. Bake 5 minutes more or until cheese melts. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and/or fresh basil.
- Grilling: Line grill rack with heavy duty aluminum foil. Preheat grill; reduce heat to medium-hot. Brush tops of dough circles with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place dough circles, oiled sides down, on foil-lined grill rack. Cover and grill about 1 minute or until bottom is browned and firm. Transfer dough circles to a clean surface, grilled side up. Top pizzas as directed above. Return assembled pizzas to the foil-lined grill rack. Cover and grill 2 to 3 minutes or until bottom is browned and cheese has melted, rearranging pizzas as necessary to assure even browning.
Whole Wheat Sesame Seed Dough:
Stir 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast into 1 cup warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F) and let stand for 5 minutes or until puffy. In a large bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; add yeast mixture and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Use a wooden spoon to stir dough together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough additional whole wheat flour (1/4 to 1/2 cup) to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 4 minutes total).